Exclusive: Ted Turner doesn't want Braves to leave Atlanta | News
ATLANTA - During Ted Turner's ownership of the Atlanta Braves, they went from last to first and won a World Series.
He even tried to manage them himself, until major league baseball put a stop to that.
He also had the former 1996 Olympic stadium named after him when it was turned into the Braves current home.
But the man who helped turn the Braves into "America's Team" with his TV empire has had no ties with them for 12 years now.
So how does he feel about the "Ted" possibly being plowed under?
When the Braves made their surprise announcement about moving to Cobb County 11 days ago, he issued a written statement saying, "I just hope the Braves will be happy in their new location and continue their winning ways."
11Alive News caught up with Turner on Friday and got a slightly different comment on camera.
"I'd like to see 'em stay here," he told me.
That was it. Nothing more, but obviously he wasn't happy about it.
Neither are several Cobb County residents.
As we told you Thursday, our exclusive 11Alive Survey USA poll showed many in Cobb are pleased at the prospect of getting the Turner's former team.
Our poll also indicated 54 percent think next Tuesday's Cobb County Commission vote on the deal is not enough time.
Another poll by Lincoln Park Strategies claims 59 percent strongly think the vote is too soon.
Cobb Commissioners held their first public meeting on the issue Thursday night and have three more planned for Monday night.
But Chairman Tim Lee told 11Alive earlier this week he has no plan to postpone the November 26 vote.
"Not at this time; I don't see that will bring any advantage to the process," Lee said.
Some Tea Party activists say they're talking to lawyers about possible court action to slow things down.
But if nothing changes over the next four days, the stadium now known as "The Ted" is slated to be torn down and turned into middle class housing in just a few years.
COMPLETE COVERAGE OF BRAVES MOVING:
* Exclusive: Ted Turner doesn't want Braves to leave Atlanta
* Reed: 'My taxpayers aren't backstopping a $1.2M stadium'
* Ex-Brave John Rocker: Who wants to fight crime on way to ballpark?
* Exclusive Poll: Atlantans OK with Braves move to Cobb
* New drawings released of new Braves stadium
* Cobb County releases memorandum of understanding on Braves Stadium deal
* Pro/con campaigns on Braves move target voters
* Millions paid for land near stadium days before Braves bombshell
* Robb Pitts: Braves move may open opportunities for ATL
* Deal meets with Reed, Braves to discuss team's departure
* Cobb still mum on taxpayers' share for new Braves stadium
* Turner Field to be demolished after Braves leave
* Fulton chairman: Keep the Braves in Fulton County
* Turner Field neighbors fear "ghost town" if Braves leave, while Cobb County neighbors jumping for joy
* Tom Glavine says he's happy about the possible move
* Braves officials discuss new stadium during press conference
* Braves president Schuerholz announces new stadium
* How old is Turner Field?
* Historic moments at Turner Field