Memorial service to be held for deceased UGA faculty, students | Events
ATHENS, Ga. -- The University of Georgia has planned a candlelight memorial service for the 24 students, faculty and staff who have passed away since last April.
"Georgia Remembers ... a Candlelight Memorial" will be held Tuesday, Apr. 29 at 7 p.m. on the steps of UGA's chapel.
The names of each of the 13 students and 11 faculty and staff members will be read aloud. The chapel bell will toll and a candle will be lit after each name is said. UGA's Air Force ROTC will present the colors and ring the bell. Music will be provided by the Southern Wind Quintet from the Hugh Hodgson School of Music.
Everyone is invited to attend the ceremony.
UGA students who have died in the past year include:
* David Peacock Braun, a senior computer science major from Marietta
* Zachary Daniel Cowart, a veterinary student from Douglasville
* Rebecca Elaine Greene, a senior chemistry major from Hortense
* Yuzhi Hu, a cellular biology grad student from Changzhou, China
* George Y. Kuei, a senior psychology major from Alpharetta
* Zachariah Jones McConnell, a business grad student from Dahlonega
* William O. Morriss, a freshman marketing major from Tucker
* Yong Kyu "Kevin" Nam, a senior Spanish major from Suwanee
* Alexi Julian Owens, a junior fisheries and wildlife major from Lawrenceville
* Dylan Cane Parker, a sophomore pre-business major from Toccoa
* Snizhana Radzetska, a public administration doctoral student from Athens
* Brian David Riggenbach, a senior chemistry major from Marietta
* Catherine Leigh Wilson, a junior anthropology major from Atlanta
The faculty and staff members include:
* W. Paul Cassilly, director of design and construction in the Office of University Architects
* Ronald L. Claxton, research technician in the College of Engineering
* Jonathan Liston, building services supervisor in the UGA Police Department
* Lucian Mitchell May, public service associate in the Cooperative Extension Service
* Jenny Penney Oliver, faculty members in counseling and human development services in the College of Education
* Glenn Owens, programmer in the Office of the Vice President for Research
* Bettye J. Pearson, building services worker in athletics
* Bernard Richie, groundskeeper in facilities management
* Norman Thomson, associate professor in mathematics and science education
* Margaret Sloan Collins Totty, assistant director in the Disability Resource Center
* Yongchen Wang, associate research scientist in the department of marine sciences